See some of my paints in person at the Detroit Ukrainian Museum

I’ll be exhibiting a few of my knife paintings at the Ukrainian American Archives & Museum of Detroit on Saturday, May 13, 2017. They’re having a special preview tour of their new location on 9630 Joseph Campau in Hamtramck, Michigan. Donation at the door is $25, and includes a guided tour of the new facilities as well as refreshments. You can get more details at their website or on their Facebook page.

I’m thrilled and honored to be a part of the show that includes Ukrainian artists I greatly admire, including my high school art teacher, Luba Kytasta. She was a strong and supportive influence and I can’t wait to see her and her art that day.

This is my first show of 2017, but hopefully not my only one. If you can make it, please be sure to say hi.

The artist who introduced me to knife painting — Kim Rhoney

In this early stage of my new blog, it makes perfect sense to explain how and why I started painting with a knife. In 2009, I picked up painting after being away from it for years. I painted with a brush and acrylic paint. It was a fun way to get back into learning color.

In 2012, my wife was away on vacation with her family, that I couldn’t take the time off for. It was also her birthday weekend and I wasn’t done shopping for her gifts. Since she loves garden décor, I figured an art fair may have something unique for her. The only art fair around that weekend was the one in Northville, MI. Very quickly, I found a cool angel on a pole that even had a nifty bell on it. Perfect! Since I found it in so little time, I decided to stroll the rest of the art fair.

I came across a booth with amazing paintings with thick paint and rich colors on large canvases! I was stunned by their beauty. The artist of this terrific work was Kim Rhoney of Milan, MI.

They say it’s not polite to try to get technique secrets out of exhibiting artists, but I can be pretty clueless at times. Luckily, Kim is a warm and generous person, and she told me how she used painting knives to get the gorgeous textures in her paintings. I’ll always be grateful for the time she took to talk with me about making art. Since then, I’ve seen Kim and her art at a Birmingham Art Fair, and Arts and Apples in Rochester. And every time, Kim will always discuss techniques and tips for knife oil painting.

That’s because Kim’s not only a terrific artist, but also a wonderful and encouraging teacher. A couple years ago, I took a knife painting workshop that Kim taught at the Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center, which propelled me into oil knife painting.

I’ve posted some images of Kim’s art, but you need to see her work in person. The textures she makes with her knife go well with the lush colors she applies on her canvases. Her subject matter ranges from sunflowers and poppies (two subjects this Ukrainian obviously appreciates) to old barns and apples and birds nests and trees. She rarely seems to use drab colors. Her colors are bold. They grab you immediately and pull you into her world of warmth and sunshine

If you’d like to see Kim’s work in person (and you do), check out her website at or follow her Facebook page. She always lists any art fairs she shows in. Take it from me. One workshop with Kim and you’ll be converted to painting in oil with a knife too.

Welcome to my new (improved?) website!

 My old website of my art is long gone. Here’s my new more-mobile friendly version.

I still have tinkering to do with it, but, for the most part, I think I have all my stuff in place. There’s some art to see, but I hope to update with new work as I finish them. There’s also plenty of art from the past 2 years to add, as well.

The even bigger news is that I’ve also just opened my new Etsy Shop, where you can buy my paintings directly from me.

As for this site itself, I hope to add a video of me working on a painting later this year. If you have any feedback on the site or of things you’d like to see on it, by all means, contact me. I’d love to hear from you.

What a mess.

I’m finally getting around to really working on my website. As you can see, it now has a blog. Once my website is in pretty much a completed state, I plan on adding to this blog on a more regular basis. I’m hoping 2017 will be a productive year for my painting and I look forward to sharing my progress with you. If you have any comments on my blog posts or on any of my work, feel free to add them in the comments section. Talk to you again soon.